CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

36 Weeks: Crenshaw Melon




Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. She's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of her first bowel movement. (Babycenter.com)


I can feel my body beginning to prepare for delivery. Whatever the hormone is that causes your joints to loosen (progesterone?) is in full effect. My hips and pelvis have been extremely achy and sore at the end of each day. As I lay in bed every night, I feel like I attempted a rigorous exercise regimen because of how sore I feel. In reality, just normal daily activities (and very loose joints!) are the cause of my pain.


I am also positive that this baby is sitting up higher this time. The one stretch mark over my belly button (from last year) is stretching further each day, and my muscles at the very top of my torso constantly hurt. I believe they are splitting the rest of the way up (last time they only split about halfway up my torso). I've quickly discovered that because of the high position of the baby, there is absolutely no way I can position my body that feels comfortable. Sitting down, or laying down is always extremely uncomfortable, as Poppy is growing INTO my ribs. The only time that Poppy is not digging into my ribs is when I'm standing. But then my lower back and legs begin to ache tremendously. It's a constant battle;)

All this to say-- screw what I said about not in a hurry to be done. After this week, I am so there. This baby can come out anytime. I'd be totally down with that.

I finished packing the hospital bag as much as I can. Everything else will have to be packed last minute, as we use those items on a daily basis (camera, toiletries, boppy, etc). I made a last-minute packing list too. I am ready and waiting.


I have my 36 week check-up on Thursday, which begins the weekly visits. It also begins the cervix checks. Cannot wait to hear that I am 4cm dilated already and will deliver within the week. (Here's to dreaming.) Until next week, dear readers...






2 comments:

Cara said...

Hey Ne, I cannot belileve you have only a month left! The hormone that is loosening you up is Relaxin, if you care. And I hope you are getting your adjustments! Getting adjusted throughout your pregnancy is crucial, especially when it comes to labor times and those end-of-the-pregnancy aches. Feel free to come over and get your pelvis ready for delivery! :) Hopefully Poppy will drop soon so that you can breathe! Start your final desent, Poppy!

Unknown said...

YAY! You're getting so close! I'm coming home on the 26th and praying you deliver by then so I can see poppy! I pray whenever I think about it :) Miss you!